Tom Brown's Schooldays | 1951
This is where rugby football was indeed invented, and past pupils include (as well as Thomas Hughes, the book’s author) Lewis Carroll, poet Rupert Brooke and actor Anthony Quayle.
There’s a museum at 10 Little Church Street, Rugby, and tours of the historic school.
The coaching tavern is the George Inn, tucked away in a cobbled courtyard at 77 Borough High Street, Southwark, SE1. Rebuilt in 1671, A real treasure, a warren of wood-beamed bars, it’s London’s last remaining galleried inn, though sadly, only one of the three original sides of its courtyard remains. This part is safe – it's now a National Trust property.
The George was a favourite of Charles Dickens (who mentions it in Little Dorrit and – supposedly – a haunt of William Shakespeare.